Bardsdale United Methodist Church
Job Description – Office Manager
The office manager is organizationally and administratively accountable to the pastor. They are
highly organized and digitally fluent in MS Office (Word, Excel), Google Docs, social media,
database and website skills.
1: Supports pastor in care of congregation, communicates with church members in pastor’s
absence, maintains strict confidentiality, and supports community outreach. Responds to
inquiries about the church.
- General: Proofreads and assists pastor with Order of Worship, maintains BUMC calendar
(yearly, monthly and website), answers phone, makes copies as required and maintains copy
machine, notifies committee members of meetings, coordinates liturgists, flowers and greeters.
- a. Maintain Church Records: Collects and tabulates worship attendance records, prepares
attendance rosters, maintains computerized file of members, maintains records of weddings,
funerals and baptisms. Collects and maintains notes and minutes of church board and committee
meetings. Maintains current Safe Gatherings certifications.
- Prepares Certificates of Baptism, Marriage and Membership as required, prepares flyers for
- Facilitates collection and preparation of annual Charge Conference committee reports, compiles
Conference requirements, copies and distributes Charge Conference booklets.
- File Organization: Files electronic documents and papers as required, organizes computer
and paper files so that personnel can find key documents. Sets up new electronic and paper files
and binders as required.
- Correspondence: Opens and distributes all mail and correspondence. Reads and writes emails
as directed. Prepares monthly newsletter, prepares acknowledgements for memorial donations,
personal notes for bereaved families. Posts annual financial letters.
- Social Media/Media Technician: Uses social media to increase our visibility locally and
assists Pastor/Governing Board with all media and technology goals.
- Employees: Maintains employee files, and makes job description changes as directed by the
- Church Maintenance: Relays important maintenance needs to Governing Board.
- Office Supplies: Organizes office supply cabinets, purchases supplies needed, and maintains
- Vacation Bible School: Assists the coordinator of VBS with the application process, keeps a
file with names of previous attendees, helps distribute applications as needed and collects monies.