Free Online Labor Studies Course: Nonviolence and Social Movements
How has the theory and practice of nonviolence shaped social movements in the United States and across the world? How can nonviolent movements confront the challenges facing us today? Join the Rev. James Lawson, Jr. and UCLA Labor Center Director Kent Wong for a 10-week Labor Studies course offered free to the public. In a series of conversations with prominent movement leaders, Rev. Lawson explores the development of nonviolent strategy in efforts to overturn segregation in the U.S. and Apartheid in South Africa, win rights for workers and immigrants, and contest mass incarceration.
For the past 20 years, Rev. James M. Lawson, Jr. has taught the undergraduate course Nonviolence and Social Movements offered jointly by the UCLA Labor Studies program, the Department of African American Studies, and the Department of Chicana/o and Central American Studies. Due to Covid-19 restrictions, the course will be taught online allowing us to share elements of the UCLA course with the public.
(This course is available to UCLA students for credit, and listed as: Labor Studies M173, African American Studies M173, Chicana/o & Central American Studies M173)
Easter Sunday 2021 Virtual Choir (GBD)
The General Board of Discipleship has made a Easter Sunday 2021 Virtual Choir video and also available for download.
Thine Be The Glory is an Easter celebration hymn that transcends time and cultures. The production of the video brought over 400 singers from different countries, congregations, and communities together in faith.
Good Friday, 2021
Let us be muted today, and un-mute when I ask you to read from Scripture.
Have as many candles lit as is possible… seven times we will douse, until there are no candles left, to sense loosing the “Light of the World.” You may write prayers/sins/burdens on paper to burn later.
Please have a Bible handy, as I will ask various folks to read during our Worship.
You Alone Are Holy (Eng/Span): You alone are holy; you alone are worthy; you are filled with splendor, and with awesome wonder. For our sins you suffered, died and resurrected, granting us salvation, giving us eternal life.
Solo tu/eres santo, solo tu/eres digno, tu eres hermoso, y maravilloso. En la cruz moriste, y resucitaste; tu me diste vida, y muy pronto volve ras.
Readings from the Gospel of John
- Arrest in the Garden: John 18:1-14
1st Word (Father Forgive Them: Lk. 23:34)
- First Dousing…What Wondrous Love Is This O My Soul? O My Soul? What wondrous love is this, O my soul? What wondrous love is this, that caused the Lord of Bliss to bear the dreadful curse for my soul, for my soul, to bear the dreadful curse for my soul?
- Peter denies JC: John 18:15-27
2nd Word (Today you will be with me in Paradise: Lk. 23:43)
- Second Dousing… Were You There? When they crucified my Lord?
- Pilate trial Pilate trail John 18:28-19:1
- 3rd Dousing… Were You There? When they nailed him to the tree?
- John 19:2-22
- 4th Dousing… Were You There? When they pierced him in the side?
- John 19:23-24
3rd Word (My God, My God: Mark 15:34)
- 5th Dousing…Were You There? When the sun refused to shine?
- Crucifixion: John 19:25-27
4th Word (Here is Your mother: John 19:26-27)
5th Word (I thirst: John 19:28)
6th Word (Into Your hands I commend my Spirit: Luke 19:46a)
7th Word (It is complete: John 19:30)
- 6th Dousing… Were You There? When they laid him in the tomb?
- Witness at the Cross and Burial: John 19:31-42
- Last Dousing…What Wondrous Love Is This O My Soul? O My Soul? What wondrous love is this, O my soul? What wondrous love is this, that caused the Lord of Life to lay aside his crown for my soul, for my soul, to lay aside his crown for my soul?
You may wish to remove all signs of Christ from your home–crosses, pictures, Bibles–as tho’ he’d died.
Lamb of God: Your only son, no sin to hide, but you have sent him from your side, to walk upon this guilty sod, and to be-come the Lamb of God. Your gift of love, they
crucified, they laughed and scorned him as he died, the humble king they named a fraud and sacrificed the Lamb of God. O Lamb of God, sweet Lamb of God, I love the holy Lamb of God! O wash me in his precious blood, my Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God.
Please exit the ZOOM in Silence…
Meet you at the tomb on Sunday…God knows what we will find…
List of Items Needed for Asylum Seekers Program at the Border
Lotion – travel size
Shampoo – travel size
3 Bar Soap – travel/hotel size
Comb 7” size
Kleenex pack- small
Toothpaste – 1.5oz size
Band Aids (5)
Drop off is at El Buen Pastor UMC Santa Paula – Fridays 10:00 am – 1:00 pm.
Our ONE STOP shower program also needs men underwear and socks.